Re: Dell 8100

* Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari@ilm.nlc.no> spake thus:
> > > And what is with Suspend-to-Disk? Suspend over FN-<ESCAPE> works
> > > fine here. But I'm not sure, _which_ suspend it is.
> > I'm pretty sure fn-<esc> does suspend to memory. I don't use
> > susp-2-disk. (What good is it really?)
> Fn-A does suspend-to-disk, at least on the Inspiron 4000, I assume
> it's the same on the 8000. The advantage is that the machine is
> _completely_ off when it's suspended to disk, so you can change
> batteries etc. without shutting down.
>
> When resuming, you just boot from the s2d partition (I have an entry
> for it in GRUB).

Heisann Dagfinn ;-)

Fn-A is the key to get my Latitude into s2d as well, but I just wanted
to make a quick note; if you have grub installed on a bootable partition
and not on MBR, then you don't even need an entry in grub to boot from
the s2d partition after suspend. It will "just work". This approach
works fine if you use lilo as well. Just have it installed on
/dev/hda[1-4] and make this bootable in the MBR.

> It's dog slow, though; on my Inspiron 4000 with 256B RAM, a normal
> reboot is faster than a suspend/resume to/from disk.

I second that.

Regards,
Stig

--