Re: Dell 8100

    DJ>  I'm considering picking up a Dell 8100 laptop.  I've seen a
    DJ> number of web sites affirming that the Dell 8000 is compatible
    DJ> with Linux in general and Debian in particular.  I've seen
    DJ> nothing, however, on the 8100.  With laptops, a minor upgrade in
    DJ> model number can signify anything from a difference in the
    DJ> amount of memory installed to a completely different motherboard
    DJ> and components.  Anyone familiar with the 8100 and it's
    DJ> compatibility with Debian?

You are referring to the Inspirion 8100. The I8100 is different from the
I8000 only in the following:

 - different CPU (faster one in the I8100)
 - faster FSB speed in the 8100
 - comes with the Nvidia card only as opposed to the ATI Rage Mobility
   M4 which used to be standard on the I8000

I don't think there's a whole lot more difference b/w the I8100 and
I8000. But to be sure, you should take a look at the mailing list
archives of linux-dell-laptops Yahoo eGroup. This question was asked and
answered very recently.

>From what I have read, the Nvidia card requires jumping through a few
hoops to get it configured properly under XFree86-4.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com