Re: PCMCIA -- Unstable -- Kernel 2.4.12

Hi Doc.

I'll let you know what I did. YMMV.

install the pcmcia-cs packages (you probably already have this. As root, do 'which cardctl' and 'which cardmgr'.

download kernel source; untar into /usr/src/linux (rename the kernel-source-2.4.x directory to linux)

make menuconfig
enable pcmcia support in the kernel, and whatever modules that you need. Don't forget your filesystem drivers! RTFM.

now you get to the lovely debian packaging system. Again, rtfm, but what you probably want is something like:

make-kpkg clean #yes, after you make menuconfig
make-kpkg --revision=custom1.0 kernel_image

you'll end up with a file something like /usr/src/kernel-image2.4.x-custom1.0.deb

cd /usr/src
dpkg -i kernel-image.........

tell grub about your new kernel-- I *think* that you just run grub, but I haven't used grub for a while-- it's actually nicer, IMHO, than lilo, but then lilo's everywhere, so... I'd tell grub to also be able to boot the old kernel. Under lilo, you make an entry in /etc/lilo.conf that tells lilo that the label "linuxold" means boot /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.x (the kernel that you know works). Again, RTFM. IIRc there's a grub tutorial at http://www.gentoo.org. IIRC there's also one on the debian website somewhere. Look under the hurd stuff.

reboot

pray ;>

I think that the big hurdle is in getting both pcmcia-cs package and the kernel stuff working.

I don't know about progeny linux (other than it was some folks making a debian knockoff), but you may have to make sure that you have gcc, gmake, kernel-package, etc. installed.

good luck. Let us know your progress. I'm sure you will ;>

glen