Re: PCMCIA -- Unstable -- Kernel 2.4.12

Glen,

   Thank you for your remarks.

   I have read so many online documents about kernels and upgrades
and patches etc. that my eyes and head hurt!  I have killed entire
forests with all that I have printed out to read again and mark up and
try.

   At this point I could use some very simple instructions.  I am not
shy about just trying something but prefer not to waste several more
days doing so blindly and having to start all over again.

Current Status:

   Progeny-Debian-Linux is on my HP OmniBook 4100 laptop.

   Progeny uses Grub rather than Lilo, so I am at a disadvantage
when references are made in most documents to adjusting Lilo --
what do I do about Grub?

   I ran the upgrade from Progeny to Unstable yesterday and the
laptop has sat without being rebooted since then as I try to find
someone who can tell me if I reboot it I will still have pcmcia ...
otherwise I will probably have to wipe everything out for the 5th
time and restart with Progeny from the CD.

   I have downloaded kernel 2.4.12 and it resides in /usr/src/
(linux-2.4.12.tar.gz)

   From whence do I also download pcmcia-cs to match kernel
2.4.12 and Unstable?  (I looked around and the only site http
site I found would not respond.)

   What are the steps I should follow, please?  Reboot Unstable,
install kernel 2.4.12 (specific recommended commands?) ... reboot?
... then install pcmcia-cs (specific recommended commands?) ?

Yes, I am exhausted ... also because I am doing this at the same time
my in-laws are visiting for a week!  :-)

Thanks!  Doc

> you can do pcmcia support under 2.4.x in two ways:
>
> installing the pcmcia packages (more stable, but maybe less feature-rich,
and somewhat more complex to setup).
> Compiling pcmcia support into the new 2.4.x kernel, however, note that
you'll still need the pcmcia-cs package installed for full pcmcia support.

> it's really up to you. Check the documentation for the 2.4 kernel series,
and see what it says, and what you're comfortable doing. I personally chose
to use the 2.4 kernel modules, partly 'cause I was having trouble getting
the
pcmcia packages to compile properly with the 2.4.9 kernel.

> You don't, however, *have* to upgrade your kernel. And even if you do,
 it's probably wise to have a pretty good idea of what's oging on and how to
use lilo before you do..