Re: Dell Latitude C810

    BJ>  Installation of Debian 2.2r3 on a Dell Latitude C810 hangs
    BJ> arfter inital reboot and Debian is trying to load the pc card
    BJ> bus. Any idea's?

Sounds like this is the infamous PCMCIA hang. 2.2r3 installs the
pcmcia-cs package (PCMCIA Card Services) and this package's init scripts
attempt to scan the PCMCIA bus at startup causing the lockup on some
laptops including Dells.

the solution is this:

- Reboot the system, and press and hold the Shift when "LILO"
appears. At the "boot:" prompt, type "Linux single" (without the quotes)
to boot the system into runlevel 1

- when prompted for your password, press ENTER as the password has not
been set yet

- at the (root) prompt, type the following:

    dpkg --purge pcmcia-cs

to get rid of the pcmcia-cs package whose init script is causing the
hang

- type exit to leave runlevel 1 and continue on with the second stage
install

I have used this above procedure to get around the same problem when
installing from Debian potato's (2.2r3 = potato) boot-floppies on my
Latitude C800.

One other solution is to install the testing/woody distribution which
doesn't install pcmcia-cs in the base install. I have used the
testing/woody boot-floppies version 3.0.15 to install on my C800 and a
couple of systems, and everything went quite smoothly.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com