Re: Debian installation problems

Søren Neigaard wrote:
> GM> in that you don't need to use.
> I don't know what I have added??

Ok so you have PCMCIA-CS installed, and when you
type "ifconfig eth0" it does not find the interface.

> >> Eeeh ok, that sounds hard for a newbie like me - kernel modules?? Do I
> >> even dare to mess with my kernel?
> GM> kernel modules = device drivers. It's possible that you need support for certain chipsets-- pcmcia support is in itself a set of kernel modules.
> Ok I really need some newbie advice here, or I don't think I will get
> much further. What is my next step? Can I somehow see which PCMCIA
> drivers I have loaded in my kernel?

yes, type "modprobe -l"
thufir:/home/silk# modprobe -l
/lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/drivers/char/pcmcia/serial_cs.o
/lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/drivers/net/dummy.o
/lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia/3c574_cs.o
thufir:/home/silk#

for me it's 3c_574 which is my 3com ethernet card driver.
actually it's the 589 (written on the card, so on your probably
too..) but the kernel uses the same driver for either ones.

> If mine aren't there, how do I add
> it, and should I remove the others (how is this done)? The driver we
> are talking about, I guess that is the xurc2ps right? Do I need more
> info on my card than that, do I need to pass it some parameters?

Parameters, proably not. Look on the hardware how-to OR Google to
make sure your card is supported. It's gonna take you some time...

No you don't have to remove the others from the kernel

As the last resort, and if your drivers ARE supported by the kernel,
I advise you to download the 2.4.9 debian kernel source, decompress
it in /usr/src/kernel-2.4.9/. then you read the README and you recompile
your kernel. The README files tells you evrything you need to know,
and way more. In fact you basically need to do (from memory.. : make
menuconfig (choose your card there) make dep, make modules, edit lilo.conf)

--
OpenPGP 0x9A3D4CA1
http://pgp.mit.edu http://www.keyserver.net