Re: Debian installation problems

neigaard, 2001-Oct-07 13:16 +0200:
> Hi all, didn't know which list to post too.
>
> I'm trying to install on a Dell Inspiron 7500, and I have gotten some hints from some
> of you earlier. But I can't figure out where I setup the PCMCIA card
> during the setup (Xircom 10/100/56). The only thing I am asked about my PCMCIA card, is
> whether it's a intel thing or some T... thing. Where do I specify that
> it's a xirc2ps? I can't setup my network if I specify intel or T....

During the PCMCIA installation, you are asked to enter any
card-specific options as well as a controller type, e.g. i82365.
After these options are entered and the card services are
installed, you can then configure the Network.  If the install
process doesn't prompt you directly, you can choose it from the
list of alternative options below the recommended options in the
installation script.  You don't specify the module to load, it is
automatically detected by the card services.  If it doesn't
detect the correct card module, you can go into a console from
the installation script and make some changes to the pcmcia
config options to help the auto-detect process.

> And then theres X... It ask's me if I want the VGA16 as default
> server. Do I? Where do I specify the Mach64 driver/server? When Debian
> tryes to create the Xfree86 conf. file, following error occurs (a lot
> of times):
>
> _X11TransSocket00FXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>
> I can skip this (CTRL+C), and get into a configuration screen for my mouse and
> stuff at a later point.
>
> Oh yes, and then theres my mouse. I have a cheap Microsoft mouse. I
> have tried a LOT of combinations (port/name), but none works. Any idea
> what to configure my mouse as?

Are you installing xdm for your display manager?  You need a
display manager.

Also, the Mach64 xserver must be installed,

apt-get install xserver-mach64

This will run you through the setup of the video card, monitor,
mouse, and set this to be your default server.