Re: Asus L8400 performance problem [was: Re: Asus L8400 with S3 savage: X-problem]

Hi,

> I have the same Problem when I make much I/O on my System. So e.g.
> compiling a kernel results in shortly freezing X (two seconds freeze, a
> few seconds allright, freeze again and so on until compiling is finished).

uhm .. since a few days it's exactly the same with my desktop and my laptop
systems. I've never encountered this special behaviour before. Possibly it's
not necessarily a hardware problem specific to your ASUS notebook?

IIRC I've only switched to kernel 2.4.9 (non-deb), KDE 2.2.1 (deb's) and
Nvidia drivers directly from their site. The desktop machine is fairly old
and standard equipped, but runs (old) hardware well supported under Linux.

BTW, DMA for IDE disks is enabled, and enough RAM (512 MB) available.

As well: any suggestions/solutions highly appreciated. =)

Best wishes,
	Frank
 Frank Trenkamp                               ftrenkam@uos.de
 PGP fprt: 5A0C 4AE9 74A5 51F0 2D34  E7DC 67FF 32C4 0357 5653