Re: Toshiba CDT740

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 01:20:57PM -0500, Glenn Becker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just won a Toshiba 470CDT Pentium laptop on eBay. It has a 2G HD.
>
> Am thinking of shrinking the Win98 installation down to a minimum and
> partitioning so as to squeeze Debian on there. Alternately (if this is
> possible), I'd like to go DOS only + Debian.
>
> Has anyone done this, or any combination thereof, with this or a
> comparable machine? Should I just wait until I can afford a laptop
> with a larger HD?

I had a dual-install of Win98 and Debian on a 490CDT with 3.8GB.  It worked
fine, but things started getting a little crowded after a while so I
eventually just bought a 20GB drive to save the hassles.  Now I don't have
to worry abouyt space :)

/usr took up about 700MB as I recall, including X.  Obviously, that depends
on what exactly it is you have installed.  You could probably pare it down
to 400MB, say.

> Any problems I should be prepared for with this particular beast?

It might be easier to install Linux on the one partition rather than
splitting between /, /usr, /home etc.  One problem I had was that /var kept
getting full, so I had to make symlinks to directories in other partitions
from time to time.

> NB I live in Brooklyn NY and work in Manhattan. Got home a couple of
> hours ago once the trains started opening back up. Many people I know
> either worked in the WTC or saw the towers fall. Send your good
> energies to this beleaguered island, if you can.

Eeek ;(

Good luck,

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A