Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and Geforce2go

It is quite true that you need NVIDIA's own drivers and GLX package (I had
no success with the corresponding debian packages there). This driver
(downloaded it from the NVIDIA web site is not in binary format though,
but distributed as source code that I compiled against my own kernel code.
The only remaining problem is something NVIDIA warns you about out front:
You cannot exit X and restart it without rebooting your machine in
between. If you try to restart X, the machine will hang... So if you leave
X, you will have to shut down before you can use it again.

One more thing: You need to append a line reading:

options NVdriver NVreg_Mobile=1

to get this module inserted successfully! Two comments here: after you
edited your /etc/modules.conf to append this line, you will need a reboot
or some other means of making the module loader aware of the change you
just made to this config file. Second I found that upgrades of my testing
system routinely install (without asking or warning) new versions of this
file (/etc/modules.conf) over the old file, loosing the line I appended.
Luckily they move the old file to /etc/modules.conf~, but be advised to
make a safety copy.

Best of luck, Kai

   Kai Martens				University of Utah
					Department of Physics

   Tel:    (801) 585-5503		115 South 1400 East
   Fax:    (801) 581-6256		James Fletcher Bldg. Room 201
   E-mail: kai@physics.utah.edu		Salt Lake City
   Office: INSCC 216			Utah 84112-0830, USA