Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and Geforce2go

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 05:33:32PM -0700, Kai Martens wrote:

> It is quite true that you need NVIDIA's own drivers and GLX package (I had
> no success with the corresponding debian packages there). This driver
> (downloaded it from the NVIDIA web site is not in binary format though,
> but distributed as source code that I compiled against my own kernel code.
> The only remaining problem is something NVIDIA warns you about out front:
> You cannot exit X and restart it without rebooting your machine in
> between. If you try to restart X, the machine will hang... So if you leave
> X, you will have to shut down before you can use it again.
>
> One more thing: You need to append a line reading:
>
> options NVdriver NVreg_Mobile=1
>
> to get this module inserted successfully! Two comments here: after you
> edited your /etc/modules.conf to append this line, you will need a reboot
> or some other means of making the module loader aware of the change you
> just made to this config file. Second I found that upgrades of my testing
> system routinely install (without asking or warning) new versions of this
> file (/etc/modules.conf) over the old file, loosing the line I appended.

yes, this is a debian 'feature'... the modules.conf file is generated by
/sbin/update-modules from the files in /etc/modutils, so if you wish to add
the above line to modules.conf, create a file in /etc/modutils, call it
nvvideo or something, and put that line in it.  then as root run
/sbin/update-modules and it should generate a new modules.conf with that
line in it (as well as lines for all of the other files in /etc/modutils)
and you shouldn't have to worrry about it any more.

hope this helps...