Re: Thinkpad 365X - can anyone recommend least memory hungry windows and browser

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 10:48:27PM +0200, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîca wrote:
> I think fvwm2 should be OK for a windows manager. Did you try simply netscape
> 4.7x as a browser? Mozilla is slow... If you care about Unicode support
> I heard that konqueror has support (is the browser from kde), and you don't
> need to run kde windows manager to use konqueror!

Perhaps, but it is quite a lot, still. Consider the following:

durant:/ # apt-get install konqueror
  kdebase-libs kdelibs3 konqueror lesstif1 libkonq3 liblcms libmng1
libqt2
Need to get 14.0MB of archives. After unpacking 44.1MB will be used.

Nearly 45MB _just_ for konqeuror? I don't think that's a good deal.

I run windowmaker and Netscape 4.7x on a similar powered laptop, Toshiba
Sat. Pro 420CDT with 24MB memory. It runs slow, but it is acceptable
to me. I'm going to switch to opera, sometime, I just haven't gotten
to it yet.

--
David Schmitt
(elysium@rawbw.com)