Re: Thinkpad 365X - can anyone recommend least memory hungry windows and browser

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 10:48:27PM +0200, Ionel Mugurel Ciob?c? wrote:
> On  6/09/2001, 21:39:53, Barry Pretsell wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm running Debian potato on an IBM Thinkpad 365X 24MB RAM, which has a Cyber Trident 9320 display card (has 1Mb on board).
> > I have tried fvwm, fvwm2, icewm, and wdm. I have tried mozilla as a browser and it takes 3-4 minutes to display anything. Of course I could use lynx, but I really would like to get some graphic browser working.
> >
> > can anyone recommend a windows manager/browser which may run faster than the dog I'm running now.
> >

> I think fvwm2 should be OK for a windows manager. Did you try simply netscape
> 4.7x as a browser? Mozilla is slow... If you care about Unicode support
> I heard that konqueror has support (is the browser from kde), and you don't
> need to run kde windows manager to use konqueror!

One of my laptops is a Thinklpad 755Cs (486 50MHz) with only 20
MB. It's running woody, and the current Netscape (4.77) and IceWM are
quite usable. It even copes with Java-rich websites, although I
normally have Java turned off for better performance. Netscape is slow
to load and it's also slow to load graphics. The latter I think is due
to the weird dual-freq display that requires to only use half the
video memory (.5 MB) when running X.

--
Ignasi.