Re: Unable to boot from hdd with recent lilo/mbr packages!!!

On Monday 28 May 2001 15:50, Olaf Stetzer wrote:
> Since 5 weeks after updating some packages from unstable (including
> lilo and mbr) I am no longer able to boot my laptop from hdd!! :-(

I have CC'd this message to the MBR maintainer in case they are not
subscribed to this list.

> After some investigations I found that lilo may be incompatible with
> SystemSonft Bioses and so I tried to use boot-compat.b instead of
> boot.b .

OK.  However I notice that you are putting the boot sector on /dev/hda2 which
suggests to me that the use of boot.b or boot-compat.b will not make any
differance.  I believe that boot-compat.b only helps you if you have
boot=/dev/hda , although having never tested that code I can not be certain...

If you have boot=/dev/hda then I think it is likely to work.  In your
situation I doubt that there is a reason to use the Debian-mbr that is
compelling enough for you to do otherwise.

BTW  I would prefer if it you CC'd me on all Debian-lilo issues, and I think
it would be beneficial to CC manty on all Debian-mbr issues.