Re: Unable to boot from hdd with recent lilo/mbr packages!!!

Am Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2001 10:21 schrieb Santiago Garcia Mantinan:
> > I have CC'd this message to the MBR maintainer in case they are not
> > subscribed to this list.
>
> Yes, I'm not on debian-laptop even thouh I have one.
>
> > OK.  However I notice that you are putting the boot sector on /dev/hda2
> > which suggests to me that the use of boot.b or boot-compat.b will not
> > make any differance.  I believe that boot-compat.b only helps you if you
> > have boot=/dev/hda , although having never tested that code I can not be
> > certain...

Well, the lilo.conf i sent was just the last configuration I tried, before
that I also tried boot=/dev/hda!

> This is not really true, it is true if mbr is failing, but mbr has not been
> through big changes, the normal mbr code is basically the same one as
> before, so if it used to run before it must run now, plus on an upgrade I
> believe that even though the mbr package is upgraded, no new mbr is
> installed automatically.

I admit that I am not sure which mbr I am using currently. The documentation
is not very specific on how to set up lilo to use the debian-mbr by default (
at least since the lilo package dropped debconf support). I think that I
am currently usinng the lilo-mbr, I just tried install-mbr a few times to
see, if that makes any difference!

> Umm this is weird, maybe if you could send me the output.mbr file generated
> by this command... dd if=/dev/hda of=output.mbr count=1 bs=512
>
> For what you tell me, not even the mbr is executed, this could be due to
> the partition table not being correctly marked, I'll know this as soon as
> you send me that file. I'll try to replicate that here.

I was afraid that this is the problem. Now I am really scared that I might
get in troubles twhen I try to fix that!

Attached is the output.mbr now after running the last version of lilo.

Olaf