Re: Unable to boot from hdd with recent lilo/mbr packages!!!

> I have CC'd this message to the MBR maintainer in case they are not
> subscribed to this list.

Yes, I'm not on debian-laptop even thouh I have one.

> OK.  However I notice that you are putting the boot sector on /dev/hda2 which
> suggests to me that the use of boot.b or boot-compat.b will not make any
> differance.  I believe that boot-compat.b only helps you if you have
> boot=/dev/hda , although having never tested that code I can not be certain...

This is not really true, it is true if mbr is failing, but mbr has not been
through big changes, the normal mbr code is basically the same one as
before, so if it used to run before it must run now, plus on an upgrade I
believe that even though the mbr package is upgraded, no new mbr is
installed automatically.

> BTW  I would prefer if it you CC'd me on all Debian-lilo issues, and I think
> it would be beneficial to CC manty on all Debian-mbr issues.

Seems good here.

> > I then reran a newer version of lilo and then even this message
> > disappeared, now only the bios message which asks for a system
> > disk to be inserted is displayed. I even tried to run install-mbr
> > with different options still without success!!!

Umm this is weird, maybe if you could send me the output.mbr file generated
by this command... dd if=/dev/hda of=output.mbr count=1 bs=512

For what you tell me, not even the mbr is executed, this could be due to the
partition table not being correctly marked, I'll know this as soon as you
send me that file. I'll try to replicate that here.

Regards...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net