Re: WHERE are the docs?

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 02:14:58PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 09:45:00AM -0500, William F. Dowling wrote:
> > Sometimes docs don't get installed when you think they should, so
> > using 'find ...' to find them is fruitless.
>
>  locate(1) is good.  It can search the whole system quickly.
locate doesn't actually search the system.  When a user runs updatedb(1?), a database is created of all files accessible to the user running the command.  The locate command searches through the database.  On debian systems, updatedb is run in cron.daily.

::snip::

> --
> #define X(x,y) x##y
> Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@llama.nslug. , ns.ca)
>
> "The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
>  Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack
>  my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BCE
	--xsdg

/ It takes two people to start an argument,         \
\     but only one to end it.                       /
/    http://xsdg.hypermart.net|xsdg@softhome.net    \