Re: WHERE are the docs?

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:47:12PM -0500, xsdg wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 02:14:58PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
> >  locate(1) is good.  It can search the whole system quickly.

> locate doesn't actually search the system.  When a user runs updatedb(1?),
>a database is created of all files accessible to the user running the
>command.  The locate command searches through the database.  On debian
>systems, updatedb is run in cron.daily.

 Yes, that's _why_ it can _effectively_ search the whole system quickly.
find takes a long time because it has to traverse the directory tree.
Locate just has to read its file where it keeps a list of every filename on
the system.  This is a good thing, because sequential reads are a lot faster
than seeks and reads to scattered locations.

 I don't know if findutils runs updatedb in its postinst script, but if not,
then a newly installed system won't have locate working for the first day.
After that, the only downside is that it won't find files that were
installed since last night.  If a user recently installed a package, they
probably looked at its contents.  Still, things aren't perfect, but locate
is a lot better than nothing.

 Another useful program is glimpse.  I haven't used it, but it's supposed to
make a (quickly) searchable database of the contents of all text files.  It
also only runs periodically.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y