Re: WHERE are the docs?

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 09:45:00AM -0500, William F. Dowling wrote:
> Sometimes docs don't get installed when you think they should, so
> using 'find ...' to find them is fruitless.

 locate(1) is good.  It can search the whole system quickly.

> Suggestion for Debian
> maintainers: at install time let me specify "I want all relevant docs
> by default".  On one system I have (not my notebook) I managed
> (newbily surfing through dselect) to have installed gcc, but no gcc
> info pages.  It took me a while to realize I needed the gcc-doc
> package.  Why not have foo-docless packages for those who really don't
> want docs, and let the package foo contain the docs?

 Because that wastes space and bandwidth on the mirrors.  Packages with
separate doc-packages should recommends: foo-doc or suggests: foo-docs.  If
they don't recommend or suggest the package with the docs, then you should
complain or file a bug report. :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y