Re: dhcp, cable modems...

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 07:32:02AM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 01:38:36AM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
>
> >  It's interesting to note that even though apt-cache search dhcpcd only
> > finds pump, (i.e. dhcpcd is not part of woody anymore), you can still
> > download the dhcpcd package through packages.debian.org/dhcpcd, and it's on
> > the mirrors.
>
>     I've never tried pump, only dhcpcd, so can you answer two questions for
> me?
>
>     1. Does pump permit you to specific a client ID?
 It lets you specify a host name, with -h.  It doesn't say anything about
using anything other than the ethernet MAC address as the client ID, though.

>     2. Does pump give you a hook for running a script whenever the IP changes?

Yup.  from pump(8)'s description of the config file:

       script executable-filename

              When  events  occur in negotiation with the server,
              calls the given executable or script.  Scripts  are
              called  when  a lease is granted, when a renewal is
              negotiated, and when the interface is brought  down
              and  the  address released.  The scripts are called
              with two or three arguments, depending on the  con-
              dition, as documented in the table above.

>     If so, then I'll probably switch, if it's not maintained in woody anymore.

 You might have to switch to dhcp-client, which is dhcpcd renamed, AFAIK.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y