Re: dhcp, cable modems...

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 10:44:05PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 06:27:22PM -0800, Jason Victor wrote:
> > I'm trying to configure my cable modem to work with
> > Linux. I'm using Optimum Online. I have a couple of
> > questions. First of all, is my ethernet card working
> > if i type dmesg and see something about "eth0: Xircom
> > CardBus." That is the NIC i have. second, i've been
> > trying to connect with dhcpcd, and can't figure it
> > out. i set up dhcpcd to work on eth0, and type ifup
> > eth0, and it says "ignoring unknown interface eth0."
> > i'm stuck. by the way, it sits at the starting dhcp:
> > thing for a long time.

::snip::

>  (dhcpcd is obsolete; It's been removed from Debian because it is
This is the wrong program!  DHCPD == "DHCP Daemon", aka, the DHCP server.  The program I believe you are talking about is DHClient, or a DHCP Client.

> irreparably full of bugs and security holes.  It still works, though, and
> it has a similar command line option.  Note that pump will log everything it
> does to syslog.  Take a look if anything goes wrong.)
>
>  You say that dhcpcd hangs for a long time.  Try running tcpdump while you
> run dhcpcd.  (This may not work too well, since the interface will be down
> when you start, unless you assign a bogus address to it.  Also, dhcpcd will
> take down the interface tcpdump is sniffing on...)  See if you're getting
> any response.
>
>  If pump (or dhcpcd) works, then your problem is in configuring the high
> level tools like ifup.  I personally never bother with them on my desktop
> machines, and rewrite /etc/init.d/networking to run ifconfig, route, and
> ipchains the way I like.  (I haven't finished hacking the pcnet-cs driver to
> support my Surecom EP-427X for my laptop :(.  However, if you just want
> something simple that works, stick with ifup I guess.
::snip::

> --
> #define X(x,y) x##y
> Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@llama.nslug. , ns.ca)
>
> "The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
>  Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack
>  my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BCE
	--xsdg
/$perl -le '$_="6110>374086;2064208213:90<307;55";\ \
\>tr[0->][ LEOR!AUBGNSTY];print'                    /
/    http://xsdg.hypermart.net|xsdg@softhome.net    \