Re: dhcp, cable modems...

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 11:40:51PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> also sprach xsdg (on Thu, 01 Mar 2001 11:29:05PM -0500):
> > >  (dhcpcd is obsolete; It's been removed from Debian because it is
>
> do what? i missed something. oh, and dhcpcd is not the dhcp daemon,
> but the dhcp client daemon,

 Yes.

> and it's so much better than pump...

 I don't find it better than pump.  Last I checked, it does dumb stuff like
giving up after a while and leaving the interface down.  If my cable modem
provider is doing an upgrade so there is a temporary outage, dhcpcd would
(after an hour or so) give up and bring down the network connection, leaving
me disconnected even after my cable modem came back online.  I don't know
how pump would handle the situation, since I've stopped using dhcp except to
obtain an IP config initially.  My ISP doesn't capriciously change my IP
address, so I statically config my interfaces.  (Sure, this breaks things
when the IP does actually change, but I want that, because in that case I
need to change the DNS A record for llama.nslug.ns.ca so my email will come
in, so I want large breakage right away that will catch my attention :)

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc-0102/msg00097.html
and http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc-0102/msg00126.html
to find out what the current state of DHCP in Debian is.

 As you can see, there is a dhcp-client package.  It might float your boat
better than pump, if you don't like pump.

 It's interesting to note that even though apt-cache search dhcpcd only
finds pump, (i.e. dhcpcd is not part of woody anymore), you can still
download the dhcpcd package through packages.debian.org/dhcpcd, and it's on
the mirrors.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y