Re: update: PCMCIA "make all" errors

--- Thomas Vogels <tov@ece.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Donnie Jones <donniejones18@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Thanks again for your help.... yet, I have
> returned,
> > but with, I believe to be, a simpler problem.
> >
> > I installed kernel 2.2.17 using the make-kpkg as
> you
> > suggested, and it worked out just fine.  The
> source
> > for the pcmcia compiled and the module for my IBM
> > EtherJet card is shown when I do "lsmod."  But,
> for
> > some reason when I do "ifconfig," eth0 is not
> listed.
> > I did "ifconfig eth0 up" and from there eth0 is
> shown
> > when doing "ifconfig."  Even though the "ifconfig"
> is
> > now showing the eth0 I attempt to ping an IP
> address
> > and it tells me that the network is unreachable.
>
> sorry, I hardly followed this thread.  Just a few
> notes:
>  -- the card not necessarily shows up with ifconfig.
>  (yeah, it should
>     with the card manager, but maybe something in
> /etc/pcmcia is
>     broken)
>  -- what does your routing table look like?  Did you
> tell the kernel
>     to use eth0?  (not quite but similar to
> /sbin/route add default eth0)
>
>   -tom

I looked at my routing table and there is nothing
there. This is the output from "lsmod" and I tried
"depmod -a" and found out there are more "unresolved
symbols" of which I was not aware.

Script started on Fri Feb 23 17:33:32 2001
dorm0389:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
cs89x0_cs               9412   1
ds                      6536   2  [cs89x0_cs]
i82365                 28516   2
pcmcia_core            43712   0  [cs89x0_cs ds
i82365]
vfat                    9040   0  (unused)
ide-floppy              8476   0
dorm0389:~# /etc/init.d/modutils
Calculating module dependencies... depmod: ***
Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.2.17/pcmcia/epic_cb.o
done.
dorm0389:~# exit
exit

Script done on Fri Feb 23 17:33:50 2001

My /etc/modules file has this information:

ide-floppy
vfat
alias eth0 cs89x0_cs

Well, if any other info is needed let me know, and as
always, thank you all very much....

-Donnie