Re: Lucent winmodem on Debian?

On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 09:01:37AM +1300, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> this is the result of >depmod -av
>
> <snip>
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/misc/ltmodem.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.12/misc/ltmodem.o

Oops! You are right: trying again I get the same "Unresolved symbols"
thing :(

> This suggests to me that it may be all right, except that my 2.2.12
> kernel actually doesn't have some of the supporting calls that the
> ltmodem.o driver makes, so that using a 2.2.13 kernel might do.

I don't think so: I'm trying with 2.2.14, and it's the same. After more
testing with "depmod -e ltmodem.o" to see those unresolved symbols, it
seems all of them are in the kernel (see the System.map file for your
kernel, or /proc/ksyms); also, trying with "insmod -p ltmodem" there is
no problem to load the module (from insmod man page, "this includes
locating the object file in the module path, checking version numbers,
and resolving symbols"), but the warning about versions. So, this
"Unresolved symbols" depmod message may not be a problem; anybody?

> Also, on boot, I receive a series of lines stating that char-major-4
> couldn't be found.  conf.modules lists this as 'serial'.  These messages
> do not make their way into 'dmesg', so I don't have them to show,
> although I'll try to get them for you.

It seems you have no serial driver on your kernel :(
(I think you need this to make ltmodem work too...)

--
David