Re: Inspiron 7500 network setup

Harley,

> I've got a Dell Inspiron 7500 with a NIC built into the docking
> station (not a PCMCIA card). I've got a base Debian partition
> running that was built from floppies.
>
> Anyone have any idea how to get the NIC in the docking station
> recognized so I can finish configuring Linux and really use it?
>
> If it helps any, Windows says it's an "Actiontec 82559-based
> miniPCI adapter".

The potato kernel (2.2.13) (with ethernet configured in) detects this card
automatically. It uses the i82557/i82558 driver "eepro100", the Intel
EtherExpress Pro 100B driver; works perfectly for me.

	http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html

This driver is also in the 2.0 slink kernel, so if it's not being detected
automatically, maybe you need to build yourself a kernel with ethernet turned
on?

cheers,
Calum.