Re: Lucent winmodem on Debian?

On Tue, Feb 12, 2036 at 05:29:28PM -0800, maw wrote:
> With Debian, I couldn't load the module with the modconf tool.  But it loaded
> just fine when I did it by hand.  I can't remember the command off the top of
> my head, but it's in the ltinst script that comes with the module.

I had some relative success (see below) with this on my Toshiba
Satellite 2540CDS putting

    alias char-major-62 ltmodem

in /etc/conf.modules (remember the debian way to do this is to put a
"ltmodem" file with this line in /etc/modutils, and run "update-modules)
After that, if your /lib/modules/2.2.x/modules.dep is updated
(depmod -a), the ltmodem module is loaded when is needed.

This did work very well..., until I got my first kernel panic with linux
in 3 years (I don't like kernel panics :). It seems the driver is buggy,
or maybe I need to upgrade the Lucent firmware...

> Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@compuserve.com> wrote:
>
> root@ganesha:/usr/src/linux > insmod -f
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/misc/ltmodem.o
> Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
>         /lib/modules/2.2.12/misc/ltmodem.o was compiled for kernel
> version 2.2.12-20
>         while this kernel is version 2.2.12

This is a warning (I got the same message with 2.2.13).

> /lib/modules/2.2.12/misc/ltmodem.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

There is a problem with your device. Are you sure you have a Lucent
winmodem?. Check your BIOS: is the modem enabled?. Does it work with
_another_ OS?. Do you have the /dev/ttyS14 device?; take a look at the
"linst" script, and make sure it has the same owner/perms your other
/dev/ttySx serial devices.

Cheers
--
David