Re: [Re: Lucent winmodem on Debian?]

With Debian, I couldn't load the module with the modconf tool.  But it loaded
just fine when I did it by hand.  I can't remember the command off the top of
my head, but it's in the ltinst script that comes with the module.

Mark

Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@compuserve.com> wrote:
Hello,

First of all, my apologies for posting even though I am not running
Debian.  I am running SuSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.10.

There are knowledgeable people on this list (which is why I read it) and
perhaps someone could help me.

The Lucent driver refuses to load on my machine.  I have acquired the
2.2.12 kernel, compiled and booted on it, and the Lucent driver refuses
to load on my machine.  Other than switching to Debian (I probably will
in the future, as it seems guaranteed to remain GPL, Open Source, etc.,
but I have good reasons not to tackle that yet), can anyone offer a
suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

The machine:

Toshiba Tecra 780CDM

The message I get:

root@ganesha:/usr/src/linux > insmod -f
/lib/modules/2.2.12/misc/ltmodem.o
Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
        /lib/modules/2.2.12/misc/ltmodem.o was compiled for kernel
version 2.2.12-20
        while this kernel is version 2.2.12

/lib/modules/2.2.12/misc/ltmodem.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

during boot, I receive (something like) this:

insmod char-major-62 failed

regards,
Bret