Re: apt-get dist-upgrade-except-foo1[-and-foo2] ?

On Thursday 16 November 2000 08:38, Juan Miguel Bocanegra wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Recently I compiled myself a kernel and packed it with the aid of
> kernel-package. I ended up with two .debs,
> kernel-image-2.2.17_kermit.1_i386.deb
> pcmcia-modules-2.2.17_3.1.8-16+kermit.1_i386.deb
> with suit my laptop setup (now it powers off and pcmcia works fine).
>
> Now, I'm living on the edge with woody, and everytime I run 'apt-get
> dist-upgrade' I am told to upgrade these two packages, which means kernel
> freezing on pcmcia insertion and no automagic power-off.
> Question is: Is there a way of upgrade all but these two (or any other)
> packages?

This is what I do so my kernel is never upgraded by apt. If you read the
kernel-packge documentation you'll nnotice that they talk about epochs. Most
packages are never made with an epoch higher than 3. So this is how I build
my kernel.

make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 kernel_image
                                 ^
repeat for pcmcia modules and others like alsa.

You'll notice the "3:" in the revision number well that's the epoch number
and unless somebody makes a package with a higher epoch than this apt will
never try to upgrade yout kernel image ever again. It hasn't ever tried to do
it for me yet.

Dan
Daniel E. Baumann
E-mail: baumannd@msoe.edu (preferred)
        baumannd@users.sourceforge.net
        baumannd@penguinpowered.com
        baumannd@obfuscation.penguinpowered.com (caution: dynamic DNS)

Web location: 	http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd
                http://www.linuxfreak.com/~baumannd

"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."

      -- Dave Olson

"...that as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by an invention of ours, and this we
should do freely and generously..."

     -- Benjamin Franklin