Re: Suspend to disk.

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 07:31:02AM -0700, Heather wrote:
> What I meant was, it really could be there at the end of disk, even though
> you have a partition on top of it.  A normal disk-based hibernate volume
> would be about the size of your RAM, plus video RAM, plus some overhead for
> the hibernate function.  But, it might actually use a trick that HP used a
> while back - their Omnibook 800 (and possibly others) had SRAM, so
> (1) there's no hibernate space on disk at all
> (2) you want to talk about "instant on", boy do they mean *instant* !
>
> Anything odd about the memory chips you'd have to buy for it? :D

Not that I'm aware of.  :-)

Phoenix's website (http://www.phoenix.com) turned out to be quite
helpful in figuring out what was going on.  I ran phdisk.exe and
discovered that it's storing the hibernation data in c:\save2dsk.bin.
Just to be sure I ran strings on it and it was chock-full of all kinds
of debian linuxy stuff.

> > > You could try experimenting with ACPI, if the box is new enough to have
> > > that.  Gosh, I suppose it's possible you've found a beastie with ACPI and
> > > no APM?  I'm not sure how old or new that Presario is.
> >
> > Perhaps.  How would I know?  There's nothing in the bios settings that
> > indicates it one way or the other.

The phoenix website was helpful in figuring this out as well.  I do,
in fact, have ACPI.  Don't know if I have APM but I'm going to assume
not.

> Well, if you build a custom kernel with ACPI support turned on, and it spots
> the ACPI stuff during boot, then you can use the matching userland acpid and
> give it some rigorous testing.  It really needs to be beefed up, as it's
> clearly the future of BIOS-based power management.

Unfortunately it looks like that would require upgrading to one of the
2.4pre kernels.  Don't know if I'm up to that quite yet.  Anyone know
how easy/hard that is to do with potato, or would I be better off
upgrading to woody?

Walt