Re: laptop "metapackage"

On Thursday 23 September 1999, at 22 h 23, the keyboard of Adam Shand
<larry@alaska.net> wrote:

> while i've used uucp for years i would recommend against making a part of
> the laptop package.  it's quite complicated

This is certainly wrong. My UUCP configuration files, all together, make less
lines than my sendmail or PPP configuration.

> and difficult to debug for a

I disagree.

> beginning and it's quite unlikely that a new comer to the net will even know
> where to find a uucp connection.

Unfortunately, yes, most recent ISP know nothing besides basic DNS, SMTP and
Web hosting (and often not even that).

> imho fetchmail is a much better choice and will be useful to a much wider
> group of people.

If you have several users on your laptop (and we are talking about Unix here),
fetchmail is not really convenient: you'll need several accounts on the ISP
and you'll need to put the passwords for all of them in fetchmail's
configuration.

> gonna include fetchmail you could argue that netscape would make a better
> choice and even have a wider appeal.

We should use only free packages in task-laptop, which eliminates netscape.