Re: Laptop FAQ // Debian on Floppys??

On Thursday 23 September 1999, at 13 h 26, the keyboard of
will@franklinhs.pps.k12.or.us wrote:

> Ok, I think I've got the equipment, one debian server, two laptops that
> need debian, and a null modem serial cable. I think thats all I need, so
> if I hook up the cable between laptop and server, now what?

Your choice:

1) Read the PPP HOWTO and pppd(1)
2) Use the following (NOT TESTED, from memory only!!!) if and only you have a spare IP address on the LAN (other methods are possible for other cases, give more details about your configuration, where is the Debian mirror, etc):

Machine A, on the LAN:

pppd /dev/ttyS0 57600 x.y.z.A:x.y.z.B proxyarp debug

Machine B, the laptop:

pppd /dev/ttyS0 57600 debug

where x.y.z.A is the IP address of machine A and x.y.z.B the spare IP address.

Of course, your mileage and serial port numbers may vary...