Re: Request for Review: APT manpages

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Christian PERRIER (bubulle@debian.org):
>> Quoting Ben Finney (ben+debian@benfinney.id.au):
>> To David: the review should happen on the docbook-xml manpages. And,
>> hopefully, take care to not break translations too much. That will be
>> a *very* hard task because, as soon as one original change is made in
>> the ENlighs strings, translations are marked as fuzzy. It really would
>> help a LOT of PO files are regenerated with the "--previous" option of
>> the msgmerge utility when they're synced with the POT file. That helps
>> translators who used advanced tools such as "lokalize" to identify
>> easily what changed in a given string.

I will check that later to be sure, but i think po4a handles this
already correctly for us.

> de :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: de.po: 821 translated messages.
> es :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: es.po: 727 translated messages, 48 fuzzy translations, 46 untranslated messages.
> fr :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: fr.po: 737 translated messages, 43 fuzzy translations, 41 untranslated messages.
> it :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: msgfmt: it.po: 1 translated message, 89 fuzzy translations, 731 untranslated messages.
> ja :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: ja.po: 630 translated messages, 49 fuzzy translations, 142 untranslated messages.
> pl :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: pl.po: 423 translated messages, 62 fuzzy translations, 336 untranslated messages.
> pt :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: pt.po: 727 translated messages, 48 fuzzy translations, 46 untranslated messages.
> pt_BR :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: msgfmt: pt_BR.po: 2 translated messages, 129 fuzzy translations, 690 untranslated messages.

'it' and 'pt_BR' are properly out of question. Since converting to po4a
in 2009 they there never touched - and even before properly not for a
long time. I indented to give them a last chance this time round.
If nobody steps up for them this time i will nuke them out of the tree. :/

For the others, i keep hoping. Many can at least achieve
completeness of certain manpages, if not for all, and
that is already a great achievement.

For the record: I had still some manual post-processing to do on the po's,
which i did only for de and now completed for the rest. No miracles,
but at least a bit less fuzzy strings (depending on state 10-20).

> As you see, at least the German, French (if I kick my ass enough),
> maybe Japanese, Portuguese...teams are in position to achieve
> translation completeness which, according to po4a settings, would lead
> to (at least partially) translated manpages.

It is set to 80% per manpage. Only certain manpages are e.g. translated
in polish (the biggest apt.conf is e.g. not) and that is handled just fine.
I will try to get a meaningful per-file statistic generate as this might help
motivating some.
(heh, only 5 strings to complete apt-get -- we can do that and maybe
 some more - as opposed to: 300 untranslated strings in total -- no we
 will never get that done in time so don't even try…)
po4a already generates some, i think i just have to brush them up.

We can reduce the percentage also, going down to 74% e.g. will
add 8 manpages to the translated count (making e.g. fr "complete"),
but i would like to delay that decision to after review and call as we will
know exactly what's on the plate then.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

P.S.: Subscribed now as wished to -english, just to be sure.