Re: Request for Review: APT manpages

Quoting Christian PERRIER (bubulle@debian.org):
> Quoting Ben Finney (ben+debian@benfinney.id.au):
>
> To David: the review should happen on the docbook-xml manpages. And,
> hopefully, take care to not break translations too much. That will be
> a *very* hard task because, as soon as one original change is made in
> the ENlighs strings, translations are marked as fuzzy. It really would
> help a LOT of PO files are regenerated with the "--previous" option of
> the msgmerge utility when they're synced with the POT file. That helps
> translators who used advanced tools such as "lokalize" to identify
> easily what changed in a given string.

Oh, and something I forgot: the review should try to avoid too
invasive changes, rephrasing, etc. as much as possible.

APT manpages are a HUGE work to translate and most teams are already
late in keeping up with it:

de :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: de.po: 821 translated messages.
es :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: es.po: 727 translated messages, 48 fuzzy translations, 46 untranslated messages.
fr :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: fr.po: 737 translated messages, 43 fuzzy translations, 41 untranslated messages.
it :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: msgfmt: it.po: 1 translated message, 89 fuzzy translations, 731 untranslated messages.
ja :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: ja.po: 630 translated messages, 49 fuzzy translations, 142 untranslated messages.
pl :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: pl.po: 423 translated messages, 62 fuzzy translations, 336 untranslated messages.
pt :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: pt.po: 727 translated messages, 48 fuzzy translations, 46 untranslated messages.
pt_BR :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: msgfmt: pt_BR.po: 2 translated messages, 129 fuzzy translations, 690 untranslated messages.

As you see, at least the German, French (if I kick my ass enough),
maybe Japanese, Portuguese...teams are in position to achieve
translation completeness which, according to po4a settings, would lead
to (at least partially) translated manpages.

If too many strings are "broken", we might discourage some of them to
do the update. Note that a "message" in manpages translation files is
often a full paragraph that may take 5-10 minutes to translate.