Re: [RFR] English debconf templates uim-ajax-ime and uim-social-ime

Hi,

Thank you for your reviewing.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 01:43:16PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> >>   Uim is an input method module library which supports various scripts and can
> >>   act as a front end for a range of input methods, including Anthy, Canna,
> >>   SKK, or T-Code/TUT-Code (for Japanese), Pinyin (for Chinese), Byeoru (for
> >>   Korean), and X-SAMPA (for the International Phonetic Alphabet). Most of its
> >>   functions are implemented in Scheme, so it's very simple and flexible.
> [...]
> > I will confer with team about dropping uim-hangul.

Uim packaging team agreed about dropping uim-hangul.

> Well, popcon says neither of them have any regular users - and nor do
> -latin, -pinyin, -tcode, -viqr or -ipa-x-sampa... in fact the only
> uim input method packages with any popcon votes are -anthy, -canna,
> -skk, -prime, and -m17nlib.  So maybe PRIME and M17n deserve to be
> mentioned in the list above in place of T-Code and IPA:

I agree.  I thought what to mention in the list.
I have not thought of using popcon.

>   Uim is an input method module library which supports various scripts and can
>   act as a front end for a range of input methods, including Anthy, Canna,
>   PRIME, or SKK (for Japanese), Pinyin (for Chinese), Byeoru (for Korean), and
>   M17n (for many other languages). Most of its functions are implemented in
>   Scheme, so it's very simple and flexible.

Replaced.
And, current uim dummy package's description:

 This package is a dummy convenience package designed to install the basic
 uim infrastructure. It does not depend on Japanese plugin packages, because
 uim is not specific to Japanese. To use a Japanese Input Method, you need to
 install one of the following packages:
  * uim-anthy: Anthy plugin for uim;
  * uim-canna: Canna plugin for uim;
  * uim-prime: PRIME plugin for uim;
  * uim-skk:   SKK plugin for uim.

says Japanese.  So, I put Pinyin, Byeoru, and M17n.

 This package is a dummy convenience package designed to install the basic
 uim infrastructure. It does not depend on any plugin packages, because
 uim is not specific to any languages. To use an input method, you need to
 install one of the following packages:
  * Japanese input method
   - uim-anthy: Anthy plugin for uim;
   - uim-canna: Canna plugin for uim;
   - uim-prime: PRIME plugin for uim;
   - uim-skk:   SKK plugin for uim.
  * Chinese input method
   - uim-pinyin: Pinyin input support for uim.
  * Korean input method
   - uim-byeoru: Byeoru input support for uim.
  * Many other languages input method
   - uim-m17n: M17n plugin for uim.

(I will rename uim-m17nlib to uim-m17n. Uim packaging team agreed.)

> >> I can't suggest a revised version yet.
> >
> > Upstream says below only, there is no document...
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/uim/wiki/WhatsUIM
> >> Chinese
> >>    New Pinyin (Simplified)
> >>    Pinyin (Unicode)
> >>    Pinyin (Traditional)
>
> Yes, but that's under "What Languages and Input modules can I use with
> uim?".  And they obviously aren't claiming that Pinyin and Pinyin are
> two different input modules... I'm going to assume that this is
> managing to combine the usual languages/scripts confusion with an
> extra layer of blurring between scripts and encodings!

I see.  I will ask upstream for it.

> Maybe it should be:
>
>    This package provides UIM support for the (Traditional and Simplified)
>    Chinese input methods py, pyunihan, and pinyin-big5.

Replaced.

> Reading about it I'm astonished to discover that these pinyin input
> methods work by presenting the user with a choice of all the Han
> characters for a given syllable, *ignoring* tone distinctions - so if
> you type in M A it'll show you all the choices for MĂ, MĀ, MÀ, and
> MA...

It is undocumented.  So, I checked their sources.
Pinyin-big5 supports tone numbers:
M A 1, M A 2, M A 3, and M A 4.
But py and pyunihan do not support tone, maybe...

> > Present, upstream obsoletes T-Code and Try-Code.
> > I will confer with team about dropping T-Code and Try-Code.
> [...]
> >>   This package provides uim support for T-Code/TUT-Code/Try-Code input, a
> >>   Japanese input method mapping pairs of alphanumeric codes to individual
> >>   kanji - see http://openlab.jp/tcode/ (in Japanese).
>
> If Try-Code doesn't exist any longer we probably shouldn't mention it.

Uim packaging team agreed about dropping T-Code and Try-Code.

--
Regards,
	dai

GPG Fingerprint = 0B29 D88E 42E6 B765 B8D8 EA50 7839 619D D439 668E