Re: [RFR] English debconf templates uim-ajax-ime and uim-social-ime

debian@vdr.jp wrote:
>> Trying to make this clearer, I'd suggest something like:
>>
>>   Uim is an input method module library which supports various scripts and can
>>   act as a front end for a range of input methods, including Anthy, Canna,
>>   SKK, or T-Code/TUT-Code (for Japanese), Pinyin (for Chinese), Byeoru (for
>>   Korean), and X-SAMPA (for the International Phonetic Alphabet). Most of its
>>   functions are implemented in Scheme, so it's very simple and flexible.
[...]
> I will confer with team about dropping uim-hangul.

Well, popcon says neither of them have any regular users - and nor do
-latin, -pinyin, -tcode, -viqr or -ipa-x-sampa... in fact the only
uim input method packages with any popcon votes are -anthy, -canna,
-skk, -prime, and -m17nlib.  So maybe PRIME and M17n deserve to be
mentioned in the list above in place of T-Code and IPA:

  Uim is an input method module library which supports various scripts and can
  act as a front end for a range of input methods, including Anthy, Canna,
  PRIME, or SKK (for Japanese), Pinyin (for Chinese), Byeoru (for Korean), and
  M17n (for many other languages). Most of its functions are implemented in
  Scheme, so it's very simple and flexible.

>>> 	:
>> I can't suggest a revised version yet.
>
> Upstream says below only, there is no document...
>
> http://code.google.com/p/uim/wiki/WhatsUIM
>> Chinese
>>    New Pinyin (Simplified)
>>    Pinyin (Unicode)
>>    Pinyin (Traditional)

Yes, but that's under "What Languages and Input modules can I use with
uim?".  And they obviously aren't claiming that Pinyin and Pinyin are
two different input modules... I'm going to assume that this is
managing to combine the usual languages/scripts confusion with an
extra layer of blurring between scripts and encodings!

Maybe it should be:

   This package provides UIM support for the (Traditional and Simplified)
   Chinese input methods py, pyunihan, and pinyin-big5.

Reading about it I'm astonished to discover that these pinyin input
methods work by presenting the user with a choice of all the Han
characters for a given syllable, *ignoring* tone distinctions - so if
you type in M A it'll show you all the choices for MĂ, MĀ, MÀ, and
MA...

>>> 	:
> Present, upstream obsoletes T-Code and Try-Code.
> I will confer with team about dropping T-Code and Try-Code.
[...]
>>   This package provides uim support for T-Code/TUT-Code/Try-Code input, a
>>   Japanese input method mapping pairs of alphanumeric codes to individual
>>   kanji - see http://openlab.jp/tcode/ (in Japanese).

If Try-Code doesn't exist any longer we probably shouldn't mention it.
I'm not sure whether we should even mention T-Code like this - perhaps
it should be

   This package provides uim support for TUT-Code (or "T-Code"), a Japanese