Re: zomg: discussion of package description

tony baldwin <tony@baldwinsoftware.com> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Martin Eberhard Schauer <
> Martin.E.Schauer@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Original:
> >
> > console-based libre.fm submission and radio client

[…]

> > SD: I consider xxx-based a bad habit.
>
> Why? As a native U.S. English speaker, I can testify that this is
> common usage.

It's common, but that doesn't speak against it being a bad habit :-)

I agree that it's a bad habit, because it is unclear and there are
usually more precise, equally simple, alternatives.

> I believe the "submission" feature is not uploading.
> It is "scrobbling" (i.e., keeping a public record of what you listen to).
> According to Last.FM,"Scrobbling a song means that when you listen to it,
> the name of the song is sent to Last.fm and added to your music profile. "
> http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=99

If that term is very common (I don't know, and am not sure how to
objectively determine that), then it does deserve to be mentioned in the
extended description to aid in searches.

I weep for the translators of “scrobble”, though ;-)

--
 \       “When I get new information, I change my position. What, sir, |
  `\             do you do with new information?” —John Maynard Keynes |