Re: zomg: discussion of package description

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Martin Eberhard Schauer <Martin.E.Schauer@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi,

today I found a package description which I consider improvable. I would
like to suggest the maintainer a rewritten and hopefully improved version.
But I am not experienced in writing english texts.

Original:

console-based libre.fm submission and radio client

ZOMG is a console-based libre.fm client written in Z-Shell.
It can submit the music tracks you play to libre.fm via the
Audioscrobbler protocol, and it can play libre.fm radio stations.
.
It can also submit tracks to last.fm or any compatible GNU FM site.

First attempt:

text-mode libre.fm client with submission capability to internet radios

ZOMG can play libre.fm radio stations and submit the music tracks
you play to libre.fm, last.fm or any compatible GNU FM site.

Rationale:

SD: I consider xxx-based a bad habit.

Why?  As a native U.S. English speaker, I can testify that this is common usage.

Not having investigated deeper, I
suppose the purpose of a internet radio client is listening and upload
an additional feature

I believe the "submission" feature is not uploading.
It is "scrobbling" (i.e., keeping a public record of what you listen to).
According to Last.FM,"Scrobbling a song means that when you listen to it,
the name of the song is sent to Last.fm and added to your music profile. "
http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=99

Not adressed yet:
Another translator wondered how to translate track. For me it is plausible,
that track is short for the sound file plus metadata.

To/from what language?
To the general populace, a "track" on a music CD is simply a song.
(I do not believe that this necessarily implies metadata,
but, it certainly doesn't preclude it.)
I would call it "tema" or "canción" in Spanish, "canção" in Portuguese,
and "chanson" in French (those are all the languages I speak).

Were this, on the other hand, a music recording/mixing or karaoke program (which it isn't),
then track could mean one part of the recording of a song, such as
"the bass track", "the guitar track", "the vocal track", etc.
I believe this would be "trato" in Portuguese, "pista" in Spanish, "piste" in French.

To my knowledge, a song is not generally called a "track" in most of these languages, however,
which is good, since that helps avoid some confusion.

This is my first ever post to this list, after lurking for a few weeks.
I hope it is helpful.

./tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com