Re: Request for review of a package description

Dmitrijs Ledkovs <dmitrij.ledkov@gmail.com> writes:

> Please CC me - I'm not subscribed, thanks =)

Done.

> Package: xiphos

This synopsis is fine.

Is Xiphos essentially one program, or several?

>  Xiphos is Bible study software for GNOME.

This is grammatically correct (“software” is an uncounted noun), but a
bit vague. If it's one program, I would expect “a Bible study program”.
Also, we may as well be explicit about what GNOME is:

    Xiphos is a Bible study program for the GNOME desktop environment.

In fact, taking inspiration from your later description of the
‘xiphos-data’ package, I would say this description would do well to
start with:

    Xiphos is a Bible study program for the GNOME desktop environment.
    It is based on The SWORD Project by the CrossWire Bible Society, a
    framework for tools to assist studying the Bible and additional
    information like commentaries, dictionaries and other texts.

>  It is a digital text reader with
>  bookmarks and full text search. One of the exclusive reader features is
>  parallel view of alternative and translated versions of the same text.
>  .
>  In addition it allows you to keep personal per-verse notes. For larger
>  commentaries there is also a dedicated rich-text study pad. The personal
>  commentary supports spell checking and can also be searched.

I would re-work these into “what's this about” features, versus “what
makes this package special” features:

    This package provides the main Xiphos program. It is a digital text
    reader with bookmarks and full-text search.
    .
    Xiphos allows viewing multiple versions of the same text, for
    parallel reading of alternatives or translations. It also provides
    personal verse-specific notes and a rich-text study pad, both of
    which have spell checking and full-text search.

>  Xiphos is based on The SWORD Project by the CrossWire Bible Society, a
>  framework for providing tools useful for studying the Bible and additional
>  information like commentaries, dictionaries and other texts using your
>  computer.
>  .
>  Xiphos has a built-in facility to browse CrossWire repositories of freely
>  distributed content and install it.
>  .
>  Other software based on The SWORD Project are: BibleTime, BibleMemorizer and
>  Bibledit.

These three paragraphs seem to dominate the description; hopefully you
agree that the re-worked intruduction above makes most of this redundant.

    Xiphos has a built-in facility to browse and install
    freely-distributed content from CrossWire repositories.

> Package: xiphos-data
>  Xiphos is Bible study software for GNOME. It is based on The SWORD Project by
>  the CrossWire Bible Society, a framework for providing tools useful for
>  studying the Bible and additional information like commentaries, dictionaries
>  and other texts using your computer.
>  .
>  This package contains the data files that are necessary to use Xiphos.

Good, but I would re-work this so the introduction is equally applicable
to both ‘xiphos’ and ‘xiphos-data’, as above. So:

    Xiphos is a Bible study program for the GNOME desktop environment.
    It is based on The SWORD Project by the CrossWire Bible Society, a
    framework for tools to assist studying the Bible and additional
    information like commentaries, dictionaries and other texts.
    .
    This package contains the data files that are necessary to use Xiphos.

> Package: gnomesword

The package synopsis should be written as it would appear within a full
sentence. So leading capitalisation is wrong here. Instead:

    transitional package for GnomeSword, now Xiphos

>  This is a transitional package and can safely be removed. GnomeSword has been
>  renamed to Xiphos.
>  .
>  Xiphos is Bible study software for GNOME. It is based on The SWORD Project by
>  the CrossWire Bible Society, a framework for providing tools useful for
>  studying the Bible and additional information like commentaries, dictionaries
>  and other texts using your computer.
>  .
>  See xiphos package instead.

For a transitional package, there's no real need to go into long
description about the target package; just reference the reader to that
package:

    This is a transitional package and can safely be removed. GnomeSword
    has been renamed to Xiphos; see the ‘xiphos’ package instead.

--
 \        “I have a microwave fireplace in my house. The other night I |
  `\   laid down in front of the fire for the evening in two minutes.” |