Re: [ITR] templates://gpsd/{gpsd.templates}

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>> Does this also control whether it's started right now, on install?
>
> Yes, as usual the dameon is started after install.

[...]
>> But I'd also like to know _why_ autostarting is "necessary for USB
>> autodetection".
>
> The udev hook script connects to gpsd via a socket provided by a running gpsd
> and tells the dameon that there is a new device to take care of. It also
> notifies the daemon when the device was removed.

How does this make autostarting "necessary for USB autodetection"?
If it requires some sort of udev initialisation that can only
happen at boot time, how does it start on install?

>> If I ran "sudo /etc/init.d/gpsd start" manually
>> just before plugging the device in, what exactly would go wrong?
>
> It won't start, as the init script reads /etc/defaults/gpsd, which is created
> from the debconf questions. You could run gpsd -F /var/run/gpsd.sock manually.

Now it sounds as if you're saying that autostarting _isn't_
necessary for USB autodetection.

> The usual way is just to start gpsd at boot and only to disabl it if you really
> need to.

In that case why is gpsd/start_daemon "Default: false"?