Re: [ITR] templates://gpsd/{gpsd.templates}

Justin B Rye wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>>> Should I review the package descriptions in the control file too?
>> Sure, go on. I think it was never reviewed and didn't change (much) since the
>> first upload long time ago.
>
> There were some points I wasn't sure about while I was writing this:
>  * does Debian gpsd support Bluetooth GPS devices?

yes. It supports everything which is providing a pty, rfcomm works well.

>  * what's the situation with NMEA 2000?

There is not only NMEA200, but a lot of different standards, protocols and
binary proprietary stuff which is supported by gpsd -
http://gpsd.berlios.de/references.html
It should be pointed out that gpsd translates all the different gpsr outputs
into a sane format.

>  * is it Linux-specific or will it work for the GNU/kfreeBSDs?
> so I've left a few things strategically vague.

gpsd should work on kfreeBSD just fine, but I'm not sure about the names of the
devices and if auto detection of USB devices works, and so on. Guess I should
setup a kfreebsd machine and give it a try :)

> Explanations:
>
>   Package: gpsd
> [...]
>
> Standardised across the family.  It's a pity I can't say "Global
> Positioning System system"... any better suggestions?
>
>  - gpsd is a service daemon that monitors one or more GPSes attached to a host
>  - computer through serial or USB ports, making all data on the location/course/
>  - velocity of the sensors available to be queried on TCP port 2947 of the host
>  - computer.
>  + The gpsd service daemon can monitor one or more GPS devices connected to
>  + a host computer, making all data on the location and movements of the
>  + sensors available to be queried on TCP port 2947.
>
> Mostly just to avoid the initial lowercase.
>
>  - With gpsd, multiple GPS client applications can share access to GPSes without
>  - contention or loss of data. Also, gpsd responds to queries with a format that
>  - is substantially easier to parse than the NMEA 0183 emitted by most GPSes.
>  + With gpsd, multiple GPS client applications can share access to devices
>  + without contention or loss of data. Also, gpsd responds to queries with a
>  + format that is substantially easier to parse than the NMEA standard
>  + emitted by most GPS devices.

As mentioned above, it would probably make sense to write something like
+ format that is substantially easier to parse than the different standards
+ emitted by the various GPS devices.

(or even GPS and GPS related devices, if I remember right the developers are
adding support for some military grade radar stuff or so...)

> Avoiding "GPSes" (multiple satnav networks?) in favour of "GPS
> devices".  Mind you, I like "With xyz, applications can share" - I
> must remember it as a way of avoiding "xyz allows to share"!
>
>   Package: gpsd-clients
> [...]
>
> And the same boilerplate edits, but otherwise unchanged.
>
>   Package: python-gps
> [...]
> [...]
>  - This package contains a Python interface to conntect to gpsd, together with
>  + This package contains a Python interface to connect to gpsd, together with
>    a module providing a controlled testing environment. It also ships two tools
>  - which utilize the interface: gpsprof for latency-profiling and gpsfake to
>  + which utilize the interface: gpsprof for latency-profiling, and gpsfake to
>    simulate a GPS by playing back a logfile.

Actually since 2.39 this needs to be corrected (shame on me that I didn't see it
before):

It also ships three tools which utilize the interface: gpscat to dump the output
from a GPS, gpsfake to simulate a GPS by playing back a logfile, and gpsprof for
latency-profiling.

>   Package: libgps18
> [...]
>
> Standardising.  Then I've inserted the gpsd boilerplate paragraph,
> instead of cramming a definition into the explanation of the
> high-level interface.
>
>  - libgps is a service library for querying GPS devices. There are two
>  - interfaces supported by it:
>  -   * A high-level interface that goes through gpsd, a service daemon that
>  -     monitors one or more GPS devices. It is intended for concurrent use by
>  -     several applications.
>  -   * A low-level interface that speaks directly with the serial or USB
>  -     device to which the GPS is attached.
>  + This package provides libgps, a C service library for querying GPS
>  + devices. It supports both a low-level interface, which communicates
>  + directly with the device to which the GPS is connected, and a high-level
>  + interface, which goes through gpsd and is intended for concurrent use by
>  + several applications.
>
> Too many indents, but I don't like two-bullet lists anyway.
> Low-level first just because it's a shorter clause.

Good idea. Actually it would also make sense to add a sence about the included
c++ library, like:
libgpsmm is included as binding for c++ to libgps.
Guess you have a better idea for a useful sentence :)

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                             Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79