Re: [RFR] templates://nut/{nut.templates}

2009/3/20 Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk>
Arnaud Quette wrote:
>   This package provides netxml-ups, which supports all recent Eaton and MGE models
>   that use a Network Management Card or Proxy (XML/HTTP protocol based). This
>   applies to both Eaton (MGE Office Protection Systems) and to MGE UPS SYSTEMS.

Getting rid of "to both X and to Y", "HTTP protocol", and shouty
"SYSTEMS":

   This package provides netxml-ups, which supports all recent Eaton and MGE
   models that use a Network Management Card or Proxy (XML/HTTP-based). This
   applies to both Eaton (MGE Office Protection Systems) and MGE UPS systems.

I'm not sure what point that last sentence is making - you've named
the companies involved, so how many recent Eaton/MGE UPS models does
it _not_ apply to?  And are there any "recent" models that _aren't_
XML/HTTP-based?

yep, a few explanation, just so that you have a clear picture:
Eaton is composed of many acquired UPS brands, but mostly Powerware (with a current set of 3 network cards, with a different protocol) and MGE Office Protection Systems (MGE UPS SYSTEMS small devices, acquired following the MGE + APC merge). Eaton seems to be willing to standardise on MGE's network protocol.
APC | MGE (UPS SYSTEMS) seems to be moving toward APC's product (though I'm not an insider anymore), so SNMP, but still provides these XML/HTTP cards.

the difficult point is that there has been a bunch of fusion / acquisition between the major players of the UPS world. We are still in the transition period, with the "old" names, and an uncoherent set of products.
APC | MGE (UPS SYSTEMS) should be renamed to APC by Schneider, while Powerware and MGE Office Protection Systems brands will disapear to the profit of the Eaton brand.
So the situation is still a bit confusing and complicated as you can see. but the full revamp is mostly done!

The result is that NUT sponsor has changed its name 3 times in less than 2 years!

wonderful globalisation ;-)

 It's possible we should just be saying:

   This package provides netxml-ups, which supports all UPS models from
   Eaton or MGE recent enough to use an XML/HTTP-based Network Management
   Card or Proxy.

not bad. just with a minor mod:
 This package provides netxml-ups, which supports UPS models from
Eaton or MGE that use an XML/HTTP-based Network Management
Card or Proxy.

that suits me fine like that, and should be sufficiently descriptive.

thanks for your help Justin,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops