Re: The number of etch installations is rocketing...

[ adding -l10n-english for proofreading ]

Hi!

* Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> [070520 08:18]:
> [Alexander Schmehl]
> > Cool... And not long ago we had the 30 000 IIRC?  Maybe we should
> > prepare an announcement for -news when 50'000 is reached?  When
> > could we expect that to happen?
> In case you want to prepare an announcement, I can inform you that the
> debian popularity-contest submissions passed 50000 tonight.  The
> curremt count is 50098.

Sorry; should have done that sooner.  However: I prepared a first draft.
I attached the wml-version;  most up to date version is available at [1]
(or via websvn at [2]).  Patches welcome.

Petter, would it be possible to pinpoint the number, when 25'000
submissions where reached?

I added a citation; AFAIK press folks like that.  However feel free to
suggest a better one.

Since it's allready a bit overdue, I would like to send it out at least
the day after tomorrow; sorry again.

Links:
 1: http://svn.schmehl.info/svn/debian-publicity/20070521-popcon50000/
 2: http://svn.schmehl.info/websvn/listing.php?repname=debian-publicity&path=%2F20070521-popcon50000%2F&rev=0&sc=0

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander

--
http://learn.to/quote/
<define-tag pagetitle>"popcon" hits 50'000 - Number of Debian Installations doubled?</define-tag>

<q>etch</q>, the number of submissions to popularity-contest, a system
allowing users to tell the developers which packages are in use, have
reached an other milestone:  Sunday they reached the 50'000 mark.</p>

<!-- FIXME:  ADD LINK TO ARTICLE ON times.debian.net -->

packages voluntarily (and anonymously).  While the main purpose to
collect these information is to optimize DVD contents, prioritize
translation work and other aspects of the distribution work where package
usage is interesting to know, they can also be used as indicator of
overall Debian installations.</p>

since <!-- FIXME:  ADD DATE IF POSSIBLE -->, we guess
that the number of all installations doubled, too.  But estimating
reliable absolute numbers is not very easy for a project with an open
infrastructure as we have.</q> says Debian spokesman Alexander
Schmehl.</p>
<!-- FIXME: OR SHOULD WE CITE PETR AS POPCON MAINTAINER? -->

accurate, should install the <tt>popularity-contest</tt> package and
answer <tt>yes</tt> when asked if they want their machine to
participate.</p>

<h2>About Debian</h2>

a thousand volunteers from all over the world who collaborate via the
Internet.  Debian's dedication to Free Software, its non-profit nature,
and its open development model make it unique among GNU/Linux
distributions.</p>

to the Debian Social Contract, and its commitment to provide the best
operating system possible.  Debian 4.0 is another important step in that
direction.</p>

<h2>Contact Information</h2>

&lt;press@debian.org&gt;.</p>