You may want to consider this Knoppix derivative live CD with advanced recovery tools: http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-products.htm (look for "Runtime Live CD" at the bottom of the page)
Best Regards,
Gilles

On 2014-02-11 23:41, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2014-02-12 18:08 (GMT+1100) Scott Ferguson composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

Nothing? Where to you apt-get to when booted to live media to perform a
repair to the HD's boot and/or last tracks?

I read and believe I understood the question.
NOTE: just because it's a Live CD/DVD doesn't mean you can't install
software from the Debian repository (unionfs), it just means it won't
survive a reboot.

By "apt-get to" was meant where does the software go when the boot and
root/OS media is ro, and the HD is not accessible until the repair
which is the reason for booting live media has been performed?

But you asked "Is there something better on the media to serve its
purpose?" and the answer is yes, gfdisk (same functionality plus
additional abilities).

BCC to the nephew.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/