Re: gptsync not on Knoppix media?

On 12/02/14 16:11, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-02-12 15:57 (GMT+1100) Scott Ferguson composed:
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> I told my nephew he should be using Knoppix instead of *buntu when he
>>> needed live media. Apparently he already tried and found it missing. Is
>>> there something better on the media to serve its purpose?
>
>> gdisk?
>
>> See man and http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/ for detailed usage.
>
>> Nothing to stop the operator installing gptsync if it's preferred for
>> some reason - it's just an apt-get away.
>
> Nothing? Where to you apt-get to when booted to live media to perform a
> repair to the HD's boot and/or last tracks?

I read and believe I understood the question.

You "apt-get *to*" the debian repositories listed in
/etc/apt/sources.list. You can change them, or add additional
repositories in sources.list (or as *.list snippets in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d).

*If* you have an internet connection available to the box being
repaired, either manually configured or automagically by
knoppix-networkmanager, then:-
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get install gptsync

You can probably skip the first two steps if you are using a recent
Knoppix release.

NOTE: just because it's a Live CD/DVD doesn't mean you can't install
software from the Debian repository (unionfs), it just means it won't
survive a reboot.

But you asked "Is there something better on the media to serve its
purpose?" and the answer is yes, gfdisk (same functionality plus
additional abilities).

Kind regards