Re: A few comments about Knoppix 5.1

Am Dienstag, 02. Januar 2007 11:43 schrieb Sebastian Rahtz:
> but I don't think we do mean the same thing. To you, "open source" seems to
> imply a development model; to me, it implies a licensing model.

This seems to become a thread about nitpicking words but I try to answer
anyway...
To me "Open Source Development Model" means many things together, including
free licenses, distributed development, stressed volunteers, fed up users and
much more.

> >> But it is a very unreasonable calumny to imply that all open source
> >> software suffers from  lack of testing!
> > Who said that?
> er, you implied it with your sentence "The Open Source development model
> lacks in a very important area: TESTING."

To continue the nitpicking... You may conclude that I mean MANY free software
projects suffer from lack of testing but I never meant ALL such projects.

> Sure, we all have varying experiences of different software packages. I
> would say, however, that that the correlation between "open source"
> and "software which has not been tested properly" is unreasonable.

So where is the big test lab?

> Incidentally, you folks rushing off to Apple, is Ubuntu not a plausible
> option? Out of the box, it seems to me to simply work. But maybe it depends
> what you use a computer for.

I tried the latest Ubuntu release and run straight into the following both
bugs by just using a simple mainstream digital camera:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/53923
https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/77510

Please note that Bug #53923 was reported in July. Despite being easy to fix
(just modprobe tifm_sd) it crept into the newest "stable" release. Sorry, not
a very nice first impression...

Ronny