Re: A few comments about Knoppix 5.1

Ronny Standtke wrote:
Do you really think that I must say "a model of distributed effort by programmers not being paid for the work" when we mean the same thing?
but I don't think we do mean the same thing. To you,
"open source" seems to imply a development model;
to me, it implies a licensing model.

And by the way... many Open Source developers are paid for their work.
well, yes. but I thought you were describing the situation
of the volunteers more interested in coding than testing.
But it is a very unreasonable calumny to imply that all open source software suffers from lack of testing!

Who said that?
er, you implied it with your sentence "The Open Source

development model lacks in a very important area: TESTING."

Many projects take testing extremely seriously.

My experience is exactly the opposite.
Sure, we all have varying experiences of different software
packages. I would say, however, that that the correlation
between "open source" and "software which has not
been tested properly" is unreasonable.

Incidentally, you folks rushing off to Apple,
is Ubuntu not a plausible option? Out of the box,
it seems to me to simply work. But maybe it
depends what you use a computer for.

Sebastian Rahtz