Re: A few comments about Knoppix 5.1

Happy New Year,

> When you click on Klipper and the message "are you sure you want to
> quit" appears, if you click "Cancel", you quit just the same.

I can not reproduce that problem.

> You must go to Control Center to put it back.

Hmm, where in the Control Center is klipper? Did you mean the start menu?

> In K3B, if you want to back up only your hidden files -- .mozilla, for
> exemple -- they're nowhere to be found.

Click with the right mouse button in the content view to open the context menu
and choose "View -> Show Hidden Files".

> After lots of fiddling, I finally got the windows media files on this
> page:
> http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/
> (Click the cameras)
> to play with Kaffein, not MPlayer. Finding Kaffein would be next to
> impossible for a newbie.

My experience is even worse. I opened the URL with konqueror, clicked on one
of the cameras, and choose to open the stream with kaffeine. Konqueror then
reproduceably crashes.

> At the present time, Linux is hovering around 0.30% of the visits on
> the net because there is no quality control whatsoever. Things work,
> don't work, work, don't work, etc, usw, People get fed up.

I am fed up now for almost ten years! :-) You are right. The Open Source
development model lacks in a very important area: TESTING.
Developers in general are not good testers. Testing done by users during beta
periods is very erratic too. It may happen or not and nobody is checking the
testing coverage done by ordinary users. But it is much better than nothing
*hint, hint*! So we end up with many bugs in final versions that bite normal
users like you and me again and again.
One thing to improve this situation are automatic unit / integration tests.
Those tests can be executed automatically during development and uncover bugs
very early in development. Another nice thing about automatic tests is that
if a user reports a bug the developer can write an automatic test that first
verifies that the bug exists and then after fixing the bug the test validates
that this bug will never ever happen again. But this is boring stuff that
takes a lot of time and Open Source developers hardly find exciting and
therefore is not done very often in Open Source World. An even if you are an
Open Source Developer that gets excited about writing automatic tests, in
some cases you actually need a test lab with almost all the hardware of the
world to get a good testing coverage. Unfortunately, nobody donated this lab
to Linuxworld so far...

> I'll check the next release of Debian and if I face the same damned
> problems, I'll switched to Mac OS X.

I have done that too. Here I am back in Linuxland. Maybe you have more luck
with that nibbled off fruit. :-)

Greetings

Ronny