Re: GPL issues (Re: sources for Knoppix 4.02)

On 11 July 2006 at 13:45, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
| On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 11:05:02AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|
| > Let's start from first principles. A Debian package has a name
| > matching a regexp package_1.2.3-1_arch.deb.  Note the two
| > underscores delineating the combined 'upstream-debian' version
| > number.  There is only one hyphen, and it separates the upstream
| > number from the Debian number.
|
| There may be more than one hyphen; the _last_ one is the separator
| (Debian policy 5.6.12).

Thanks for catching that. I had it in the back of my mind as I even vaguely
recall Ian Jackson discussing this in the mid nineties. I should have looked
it up. So the heuristic is

-- parse from the left for the first '_' to get the name
-- parse from the right for the first '-' to get the Debian revision
-- the remainder the is the upstream version, or whatever modification was
   done to it (e.g. adding '.csv.20060711' or some such).

Thanks, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison