Re: [debian-knoppix] GPL issues (Re: sources for Knoppix 4.02)

Klaus Knopper wrote:
Occasionally, someone from the FSF asks me for a source DVD of Knoppix
to check if I really comply to the "written statement" option (hey,
Vincent! ;-). Very few other people do, most of them companies who use
Knoppix as base for their own product, and who want to offer the same
"written agreement" option that I do. Most developers find it quicker to
get the CURRENT sources directly from the original Debian mirrors,
though they ARE entitled to old sources exactly matching the binaries of
the CD, directly from me, following §3 of the GPL.
Does the FSF actually follow through in any cases?

"Hi, can we get the sources for Knoppix?"
"Yes, yes you can."
"We don't actually want them, just asking."

On the same note, do you have a method for downloading only updated sources since the last release? I use a script for Finnix that reads /var/lib/dpkg/status and grabs the versions' sources (I can post this script if anyone's interested), but it downloads the entire tree. It's not too bad since it's only about 400MB for me, but a more efficient method would be nice.

RF