Re: GPL issues (Re: sources for Knoppix 4.02)

(Sorry about the [debian-knoppix], I often forget which mailing lists I
have procmail add subject tags to.)

Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Something REALLY annoying is that in a few cases, the name and version
> of the binary package does not match the name and version of the source
> that produced the binary in Debian. My best guess is that there are
> smetimes "manual" renames of binaries becaure of a versioning policy
> between Debian and the original package version that I do not fully
> understand yet. But anyways, in most cases, leaving an intermediate
> "+WIP" or something like this, helps finding the correct source from the
> Debian snapshot mirror.

I see that often, with 2 different styles: package_1.2.3-1+b1 and
package_1.2.3-1.0.1, both where package_1.2.3-1 are the only sources
available.  I came across the answer to the first in the Debian
documentation: +b# just means it was a manual upload from an
architecture porter, so package_1.2.3-1+b1 was really built from the
package_1.2.3-1 source package.  package_1.2.3-1.0.1 I'm not sure about,
but it looks like packages like that are also built against the
package_1.2.3-1 source.

Occasionally, the Source: section of a package hints to a different
version of a source package, like this:

Package: bash
Source: bash (2.05b-2-26)
Version: 2.05b-26